Friday, February 10, 2012

Pain au Chocolate

Ever get tired of the same old breakfast choices: oatmeal, toast and jelly, eggs or a bagel. I am lactose intolerant so I don't eat cold cereal. I also don't like the taste of lactose free milk or soy or rice milk and no Lactaid doesn't work for me either. Of course that doesn't mean the anti-lactose pills won't work for you. But the only way to know is to try it.. sorry...So yes, my choices are minimal for breakfast.

Well, today I had to take the dog to the vet for an ear check and guess what, I popped into the little french bakery next door. VOILA I ate contrary to the dictates of the food police...but it was OH SOOOOOOOOO delicious.







Yes I only ate one, it was rich enough truly. I savored every bite with a nice cup of hot black coffee....

If you want to try to make pain au chocolate yourself HERE is a nice easy recipe. There is even a video at the website. Sweet, simple and for most people very uncomplicated. However, as for me well...

Personally I don't bake. I am the only person on the planet who can ruin the pre-mixed and pre-cut cookie dough package from the supermarket. I kid you not. Even my dogs won't eat them and they eat garbage and their own poop.

My baking history is truly a Comedy of Errors. I still remember the time I tried to make my father a birthday cake using a Dunkin Hines mix. I followed the directions, or so I thought, yet three hours later it was still raw in the center. Then there was the time I tried to bake a challah bread for Sabbath dinner using the Kineret frozen mixed and assembled kit. It came out green. Seriously green.

Now a green challah would have been fine if I was creating a Jewish version of Green Eggs and Ham or if it was St. Patricks Day. But seeing as it was a regular old Friday night Sabbath dinner, that badly produced challah went in the garbage. Now don't get all annoyed because we wasted food. Really it was not worth getting botulism or ecoli. Listen my ego really isn't that fragile that I need my family to risk life and limb to eat what I cook if it looks like it emerged from a witche's cauldron.

Needless to say, the baker and I are on good and friendly terms.

Qi en Pace,


Elise


4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmmm ... licking the screen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so good..of course I really only do that about once a year..but hey... a little vice never really hurt anyone :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made pain au chocolat a few times, it really is very easy if you just use the rolled puff pastry and some chocolate chips! I bet you could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. trishpip- you would think that but no, not really.

    ReplyDelete

Any comments that are antisemitic, racist, misogynistic, uses foul language or are hateful will not be posted.