Friday, April 20, 2012

Josephine B. Series; Yes I am a Luddite (at times)



If you adore the Napoleonic time period, meaning you find quite the amusement in Jane Austen, you might enjoy the historical novels by Sandra Guilland detailing the life of Josephine Bonaparte. It is an interesting look into the moraies, ethics and historical reality that pervaded the European continent during the rise and fall of Napoleon Bonaparte.

The series is written in the tone and perception of Napoleon's long suffering wife, Josephine. Her hopes, her realities and her dreams are brought out into the open with such clarity  that you cannot but put yourself in her shoes. You live her life. You feel her joys and her heartbreak.

If you go HERE at amazon, you can purchase the entire three book series at a discount price. Yes I know you can always go to the library.

For me the problem with libraries becomes that when I love a book I have issues parting with it. Books that I am drawn to, embed themselves in my soul. And yes, I have stacks and stacks of books in my house. And no my home doesn't look like an episode of hoarders. Not to worry.

So while I support and happily back libraries without question, when it comes to a book that might speak to my, I do buy it. It is one of my grand luxuries. I can't help myself.

And yes I could buy an eBook reader and store all my books that way. But there is just something about the touch and smell of a paper book that encompasses me. Something very tactile and engulfing about holding that book in your hand. Perhaps in some ways I am still a Luddite and yes I could be saving a lot of trees if I used an eBook. But its truly not the same.

Such a dilemma I have.....paper versus technology....yes another "First world" issue.

Qi en Pace,



Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments that are antisemitic, racist, misogynistic, uses foul language or are hateful will not be posted.