Monday, April 2, 2012

Space Opera


I am a huge space opera geek. I love Star Wars, Star Trek and Babylon 5. Hubby used to say as long as they put the story in space I would watch it, read it and love it.

Here
I happen to be a big fan of the Honor Harrington  series written by David Weber. I will have to tell everyone before they read it though, it is decidedly from a man's perspective when it comes to women. The hero/protagonist is a strong, intelligent self-possessed woman who leads battles and fights the good fight. I have no issue with that.

What I have issue with is the fact that he writes sex scenes from how a man thinks women think sex should be. Or better yet, how a man wishes women thought about sex. Weber also has Honor accepting a bigamous relationship later on in her life simply because the man in question is such a swell guy that he won't divorce his quadriplegic wife. I guess in space they can't hear you scream and they haven't taught smart women what it means to be the "other women."

Actually other than these little hiccups, it is a rather good space opera. The series is called Honorverse. Start with the first book. They do build one upon the other.

Here

I also like to read Elizabeth Moon. A former marine who writes space opera and uses her past experiences in the war scenes. Interestingly I didn't find any major sex scenes that bothered me. I wonder why.... There were plenty of annoying men in the series though. The series is the Vatta War Series.

She is also known for the book, The Speed of Dark, which has caused a controversy among some autism advocates. The book is about that little pill that cures autism and the fact that  they found it and what it means for autistics. Moon's son is on the autism spectrum.

Here


I adored two other space opera series by Dan Simmons. The Hyperion Cantos and Ilium/Olympos. Both series are based upon works of fiction

The Hyperion Cantos is based upon Keats and the Canterbury Tales. The second series is based upon the Iliad and the Odyssey. The interesting thing about the Hyperion Cantos is that Simmons goes against stereotype and makes the ultimate hero of the four novel series a Palestinian soldier charged with protecting humanity's future.

The Hyperion Cantos is being made into a movie starting Matt Damon.

So when I am not thinking about autism, shoes, handbags, and politics, I am reading space opera and wishing I lived very far in the future.

Qi en Pace,


Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments that are antisemitic, racist, misogynistic, uses foul language or are hateful will not be posted.