Sunday, May 20, 2012

Heatwave, Menopause and My Love for a Handheld Fan

No its not summer, but its the spring of the menopause, hot flashes, and night sweats....








I do wake up dreaming about water.....






And yes, there has been weight gain over the last decade that the doctor attributes to the hormonal changes in my body, not an endocrine issue . I kept thinking I had hashimotos disease (that's where your thyroid makes your metabolism unnaturally slow and you can't burn calories like a normal person) but no, not meant for me. Weight gain, body temp fluctuations, hair loss, anxiety, sleeplessness..nope not thyroid disease she said, menopause. Half the women my age, come see the doc thinking its a thyroid issue and it turns out to be menopause. She said it could have been going on now for ten years, which is when I began feeling miserable. Last five years have been the worst. (My gynecologist (female of course) has not been any help either. Her response over the years was that it will get worse before it gets better....Gosh, Golly, Gee thanks.)

Crap, thought I could take a little pill and be done with the issue. Now I really have to diet..so not happy with that reality. Really don't think that I eat all that much honestly. But the doc said to completely cut out carbs. That's how she lives. She's also a little too thin for my taste for such a young woman. But I can modify what she said too...

I know, she sounds like that cuckoo nutritionist I went to last year. The one who put me on a 1000 calorie a day diet and told me that some protein, veggies, a piece of bread and a serving of oatmeal during the day was alot of food...

I figure if I cut out what ever fat is in my diet (to some extent you do need a little fat in your daily routine) and cut back on bread, pastas (which I don't really eat) and rice (which I don't really eat) and potatoes (which I don't really eat) then I might get some where. My snacks should be fruit and water. No more low fat cheese even or nuts, definitely not nuts. And yes, back on my New Year's resolution to stop drinking wine during the week. I backslid because I didn't see any results in my body. But we will see what happens with everything combined....

Oh yeah I did change up my exercise routine. Added speed to my treadclimber, added more weights and different kinds of situps too. Doc said I should do yoga, but I hate yoga. She said it would help with anxiety and my core. Don't know what the situps are for if not for my core... I mentioned Pilates and she said that it was close to the same thing as yoga as far as the core is concerned. Not Pilates fan anymore either.  Personally I will stick to what I am doing and try to cut back on certain types of food. Doc said to keep a food diary to see what I really eat during the day....

Honestly I think all doctors treat you like you sit down at night and eat an entire chocolate cake by yourself and then lie about it.....

Anyway, menopause sucks. Just saying. Not certain why we have to go through this to get rid of that damn period. So not fair. After 35 or more years of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) you would think that Mother Nature would cut me a break, but OH NO she's just being a complete bitch about this one. Yes I could ask for hormone replacement therapy or biogentic hormones, but really, why put more garbage into your system for something that is really natural and not life threatening? HRT has even been linked to an increase in cancer...so no, no thank-you.

Just remember to take calcium and carry a handheld fan with you at all times....

Anyway the up side is that eventually this too shall pass and the doc said my body will calm down and even itself out. How nice. Maybe in another two to three years I can comfortably wear pants with a waist again....until then sweats, light cotton and terry cloth are my friends...

Oh yeah the boobs have decided to have a life of their own too, just like when I was pregnant..What's up with that I want to know...Boobs are hormones a-glory. Its like they are having a teenage temper tantrum. I woke up one day and they decided to double in size..not kidding....(yes had a mammogram and there is nothing wrong.) They just decided that it would be fun to make sure none of my bras or tops fit anymore. This was not even gradual. It was poof one day the boob fairy showed up and never left. No I do not like it. Yes maybe if I lose some weight they will go back down too....but at my age that doesn't seem possible without an operation and NO I will not entertain vanity surgery.

Gotta do something about that comforter at night though...I go to bed freezing so I need the comforter, but wake up throughout the night bathed in sweat...I do wear light cotton pajamas to bed too.  OY.....


Qi en Pace,


Elise

5 comments:

  1. OMG...YES, YES, YES boy can I relate!!!!! SO not fair I agree. Where did you get THAT skookum fan??? I have a Brookstone handheld. HA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found a pic on google. I don't own that one. Mine is something we bought at an amusement park years ago :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Elise, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow and i will be topping by shortly.

      Delete
  3. I have a friend who finds that milled flaxseed (1 tbsp. in water each day) made her nightsweats cease. When asked if it was gross tasting in water, she said, "I could add it to anything, but I don't care what it's in cause it works, and it keeps my bowels regular too."

    ReplyDelete

Any comments that are antisemitic, racist, misogynistic, uses foul language or are hateful will not be posted.