Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My Latest Book Adventure

One of the scholarly pursuits I enjoy is arguing Constitutional law. Yeah I am a big law geek. Can't help myself. So it should come as no surprise that everytime a Supreme Court Justice writes a book I read it, well with exception of anything written by Justice Thomas. He may be on the Supreme Court but I still remember the Anita Hill hearings and I won't give that man one more penny of my money than which of my tax dollars happens to pay his salary.



Meanwhile, I have read everything byJustice Sandra Day O'Connor and Justice Stephen Breyer. Recently Justice Antonin Scalia came out with a new book all about how to read and analyze law, Reading Law: The Interpretation of Legal Texts.

It is a look into the mind of one of our most prolific and "conservative"  justices. He dissects the different ways to interpret law and breaks everything down into succinct blocks. It looks like its going to be an interesting read...Yes I said looks like. Something tells me this book is going to take awhile to read through and absorb, which is fine. It's well over 600 pages

For example, the preface of the book opens up with a quote from Justice John Marshall...

"Where the mind labours to discover the design of the legislature, it seizes everything from which aid can be derived; and in such case the title claims a degree of notice, and will have its due share of consideration."

Well at that point my brain began to hurt and I had to put the book down for a minute or two....yeah its going to take more than an afternoon to get through this book. But I am always up for a challenge and hey I might even learn something along the way.

Here is Scalia as he appeared last weekend on Fox News Sunday.




Qi en Pace,


Elise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any comments that are antisemitic, racist, misogynistic, uses foul language or are hateful will not be posted.