Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Charm

For those that don't know my father past away unexpectedly last August at the age of 78. My parents were married 53 years.

52 year ago this past September, my father bought a present for my mother celebrating the day I was born. It was a heart shaped charm for her charm bracelet. I now wear it around my neck, in memory of their love.

We go through our lives knowing that at some point we will bury our parents. But when faced with this reality it hits us like an avalanche. But it also gives us pause. A major life milestone allows us to review and examine our lives, where we have been and where we want to go.

Psychologists say it takes a good year to fully recover from the loss of a loved one. I know many who never get over the passing of a parent, you simply learn to live with that void in your life.

I do like to think that there had to be some meaning in my father's passing. Perhaps the boys needed another guardian angel in heaven. Somewhere, there at God's elbow, my father is whispering how my children need special care, guidance and support. I told my mother that that is the only reason I can think of why my father died so young. There is no other rational reason.

A Righteous Man...My Father
The Jewish Days of Awe, Death of a Parent, and a Conundrum of Conscience

Qi en Pace,


Elise

2 comments:

  1. Elise,

    I read your blogs daily... THANK YOU for sharing your life with us... you are a great human being, your boys are so lucky to have you.

    It feels nice knowing I am not alone in everyday struggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I hope something I write helps.

      Delete

Any comments that are antisemitic, racist, misogynistic, uses foul language or are hateful will not be posted.